Alexa rank is quite often overlooked in people’s quest to top Google’s rankings. While it has very little association with Google and SEO, it is a crucial measurement for site monetization and anyone who wishes to advertise on their site really does need to know what the Alexa rank is and how their site can achieve a high rank. This article explains Alexa rank and describes some of the steps you can take to improve your scores and create a website that is in demand.
Alexa Rank in Brief
Alexa rank is a system for scoring websites based on the amount of traffic that they receive. The Alexa rank is very basically calculated by measuring the number of visits to a site made by people who have the Alexa toolbar installed and it consists of a three-month rolling set of data that measures both the number of page views and the number of users who visited those pages.
Why Alexa Rank is Important for Your Site
Alexa rank is incredibly important for any websites and blogs that wish to gain revenue from advertising. Many advertisers use a site’s Alexa rank to decide how much an advertisement on that blog or site is worth; the higher your Alexa rank, the more traffic your site is getting and therefore the higher the value of advertising space on your website. Many people argue that the Alexa rank is very limited because it only counts traffic from users who have the Alexa toolbar installed. In addition to this, they believe that the Alexa ranking system is skewed towards tech websites that attract the type of users who would have such a bar installed; does an ordinary “Joe Blogg” web surfer even know what Alexa is, never mind have the toolbar? My view is actually quite straightforward, it really doesn’t matter if the results are skewed or not; if you want to achieve a high advertising revenue from your site or blog then you need a high Alexa rank!
I Need a High Alexa Rank: What Should I do?
There are a number of steps you can take to increase your Alexa rank but the first thing you need to do, if you haven’t already, is install the Alexa toolbar. Do so by following the links below:
Alexa toolbar for Internet Explorer available for Windows users only
Alexa toolbar for Firefox available for all users.
Although increasing Alexa rank can be difficult, there are some steps you can take to try and move it along. Before you follow any of them, make sure that you have the Alexa toolbar installed.
10 Ways to Increase Your Alexa Rank in Less Than a Week
1) Install an Alexa widget on your site. This will allow Alexa to track all visitors to your blog, including those that don’t have the Alexa toolbar installed themselves. It’s an absolute must if you want to get credit for as many visitors to your site as possible. Most blogging platforms have Alexa plugins readily available, but if you want the code to install one yourself, you will find it on the Alexa site.
2) Try and participate in webmaster forums. Find suitable topics that you can contribute to and include your URL and a link to your site underneath any comments that you make. The type of people who use these forums are the type of people who will have the Alexa toolbar installed and there’s a chance they will visit your site and simultaneously increase your Alexa rank.
3) Connect with technology users using your social accounts. For the same reason as number one, these types of users will probably have the Alexa toolbar installed and if you Tweet about your site there’s a chance they may visit.
4) Try and create content on your site that will appeal to webmasters. Tools, widgets and applications will all attract webmasters who are looking for quality content for their sites. If they visit your site to access these tools then your Alexa rank will benefit. If you can’t conceive great content ideas, find articles that will be useful for your target customers and get them rewritten for your brand. Check out our article rewriting services.
5) Encourage people to Stumble your site. If a page on your site gains a few Stumbles, Stumble will send high volumes of traffic to your page, this can only have a positive impact on your rank.
6) Use pay per click campaigns (PPC). Although this is a costly option it will undoubtedly bring you traffic, so do consider using it to boost your Alexa rank. You may also wish to consider buying advertising space on technology and web resources sites.
7) Create an Alexa category on your blog or site. Create posts that advertise your position and progress and continually update them to let your visitors know how you’re performing. Having content on your site related to Alexa will attract webmasters who are looking for further information on this ranking tool.
8) Ask for feedback. Visit as many webmaster forums and help sites as possible and participate in the discussions that you find there. Ask people to visit your site and give feedback on it. This will generate visitors while also hopefully creating some productive feedback on how your site can be improved.
Give them a go and let us know how you get on. Follow us on Twitter: @Vappingo.