Freelance Editors and Proofreaders
Vappingo is growing from strength to strength (yey!) and we are now seeking some exceptional talent to join our fantastic team of editors, proofreaders, and copy writers.
If you know your m-dash from your ellipsis, have attention to detail to rival Sherlock Holmes, and are willing to go the extra mile to ensure that every one of our customers gets the exemplary service they deserve, you could be that special person we’re searching for.
As one of our remote editors or proofreaders, you will have a chance to work from the comfort of your home and choose the work that interests you the most. Best of all, you won’t have to pitch to clients or bid for work!
Proofreaders and Editors: Our Basic Requirements
- Hands-on editors and proofreaders. Our team members are required to edit customer’s documents and fix mistakes for them, not merely point out where there are errors.
- Can-do attitude and a willingness to go the extra mile. Some orders are really quick and easy, others may take much more time. We need people who will try their best to help each and every customer express themselves well. This is how we have established our reputation and continue to attract new customers through word of mouth:
Happy customers = more orders = more work for you
- Availability to work weekends.
- Native English speaker with a minimum of a degree in your subject of expertise. • The ability to accept payments in your own account in US dollars using PayPal.com
Nice to haves:
- Experience editing statement of purposes, personal statements, or other application essays. Rewriting and paraphrasing skills.
- Knowledge of both UK and US English conventions.
- Membership of a professional proofreading or editing organization.
- Previous experience working for a reputable online editing and proofreading services provider.
- In-depth knowledge of one or more style guides (e.g., Chicago Manual of Style, Turabian, APA).
The Application Process
- Send a sample of your work together with a VERY BRIEF cover letter to sarah at vappingo dot com in which you tell us exactly why you’re the right choice for Vappingo. This is your chance to shine. Please also include the following information:Your per-word rate in USD for the following (where applicable):
- Details of your qualifications and area(s) of expertise.
- We’ll review your letter. If it contains any grammatical, spelling, or punctuation errors, we will not get in touch. If your writing is of the standard we’re looking for, your rates are aligned with what we have to offer, and you have the qualifications we need, we will ask you to sign a confidentiality agreement and will send you a sample document of up to 800 words to work on.
- We’ll review your trial order. If it meets our high standards, you will be paid for the service you provided and added to our team on a trial basis. If the service you provided isn’t quite what we’re looking for, we will not be able to use the file and, therefore, will not pay you. We will edit the file to our exacting standards and return a copy of the final version to you so you can see where you went wrong and the level of input we require from our editors.
- If you successfully pass the trial, you will be provided with full access to our system and can take orders from the available list as and when you want.
24-, 48-, and 72-hour editing
24-, 48-, and 72-hour proofreading
24-, 48-, and 72-hour rewriting
Stuff you need to know:
- We offer unlimited revisions to our customers (on any content that was in the original order, not additional content). The revision process is important because it allows our customers a chance to refine their document, respond to any queries you may have raised, and highlight any areas where you may have misunderstood the meaning of the original text. If you are not prepared to provide revisions, please don’t apply.
- We offer a money-back guarantee to our customers. In the unlikely event that the customer requests money back for an order, you will not be paid for the work you provided. The logic behind this is simple: We don’t expect our customers to pay for a substandard service and we don’t expect to pay for a substandard service. We are looking for editors who deliver a high-quality result every single time. If a customer requests a refund, we will inform you immediately. If the client’s claim is legitimate and supported by substantive proof, we will refund the customer’s payment, and you will not receive any payment. If we believe the claim is not legitimate, we will support you by managing the situation with the customer to ensure full payment is received. Vappingo has been operated since 2009. So far, we have issued one refund.
- Payment is on a monthly basis via PayPal only. If you do not have a PayPal account, we will not be able to work with you. You will be required to submit an invoice for the services rendered by the last working day of the current month. We will process all payments during the first working week of the following month.
- It is a requirement when registering as a proofreader, editor, or rewriter with Vappingo that you are an independent self-employed provider of editorial services. As a registered copyeditor, you will not be employed by Vappingo but will only acquire work through Vappingo and our associated online platforms.