Onomatopoeia is a word or group of words that, when spoken aloud, imitates the sound it produces. Onomatopoeia is extremely useful in written English because it helps authors to describe sounds accurately and makes writing much more lively and interesting. Here is a comprehensive list of 101 examples of onomatopoeia in sentences. In each example, the onomatopoeias are underlined.
Examples of Onomatopoeia in Sentences
1) On my first morning on the farm, I was awoken suddenly by the cock-a-doodle-do of the resident rooster.
2) Ticktock, ticktock… the sound of the clock was all that could be heard in the hospital waiting room.
3) I ordered online proofreading services with the click of a mouse.
4) I knew we had finally left the city when I could hear the gentle moo of the cows in the field.
5) Quack, quack went the ducks as we threw them our stale bread.
6) Zip! My dress was fastened and I was finally ready for the wedding.
7) It was lovely to wake up to the tweet of the birds outside my bedroom window.
8) “Compliments to the chef,” roared the giant as he let out a huge belch.
9) My teeth were chattering as we waited in the freezing cold for the bus to arrive.
10) I could hear their buzzing, so I knew there was a bee’s nest around here somewhere.
11) Please do not beep your horn after dark.
12) Yuk! That cheese stinks.
13) The dog sniffed the air; he could smell meat.
14) The pig squealed.
15) I love the crunchy texture of fresh lettuce.
16) I couldn’t sleep. All I could hear was the drip, drip, drip of the faulty faucet.
17) Baa, baa whaled the sheep as the rain began to pour.
18) I snapped my fingers in time to the beat of the music.
19) I didn’t see the warning sign and bumped my head on the low doorframe.
20) The loud boom of the fireworks scared the dog.
21) The bird fluttered his wings and flew from the cage.
22) Yikes! That was a close shave.
23) I was awoken with a start with the loud bleep of my alarm clock.
24) The cat purred as I gently stroked his fur.
25) The magician waved his wand and poof, a rabbit appeared.
26) The blinds rattled as the wind grew fiercer.
27) The robbers’ car screeched around the corner as they attempted to escape the police.
28) I couldn’t wait to escape the cold and sit by a warm, crackling fire.
29) The lion let out a loud roar as the ringmaster cracked his whip.
30) The steaks sizzled on the barbeque.
31) We clapped our hands it time with the music.
32) The dog barked as the postman approached the gate.
33) The mud bubbled on the surface of the bog.
34) The girl screamed: “Eek!” as the mouse ran from under her bed.
35) The bells of the church clanged to announce the start of the service.
36) He fell off the slide and landed on the floor with a thump.
37) The ball whizzed past my ear and into the catcher’s mitt.
38) Shh! No talking in the library please.
39) The train made a choo-choo sound and smoke billowed from its chimney.
40) I heard a knock at the door.
41) He murmured the words, “I’m sorry,” but I didn’t believe he really was.
42) The machine whirred to a standstill.
43) He slashed his ex-girlfriend’s tires and felt a strong surge of guilt.
44) Tsk,tsk,tsk, you really shouldn’t be eating in class.
45) I trembled as the door slowly creaked open.
46) The owl hooted.
47) Is there a possibility that this year we will hear the pitter-patter of tiny feet?
48) The dog splashed around in the water, he was clearly having a lot of fun.
49) I listened to the rustle of the leaves in the trees and I knew autumn had arrived.
50) The old man hummed his favorite tune and the passers-by smiled.
51) Swoosh, the basketball flew smoothly through the net and the game was won.
52) Clang, clang went the bell, reminding us all that it was time for school.
53) Ding, dong, there was someone at the door.
54) Don’t forget to flush the toilet before leaving the bathroom.
55) Whoop, whoop! The gorgeous girl at the cinema gave me her phone number.
56) Ugh, that cough syrup tastes disgusting.
57) Phew! I only just made it on time.
58) I know when the teacher is approaching because I can hear the jangle of her bracelets.
59) Huh? Could you speak up please?
60) If we all help, the house will be clean faster than you can click your fingers.
61) Scrooge is famous for saying: “Bah, hum bug.”
62) I dropped the medicine into the glass and it fizzled until it dissolved.
63) Ouch! You just stepped on my toe.
64) I had second thoughts about visiting Joe when his dog started to growl at me.
65) The twang of the banjo string hurt my ears.
66) Ahem! I can hear everything you are saying about me.
67) Please whisper while you are in the library.
68) I gurgled the mouthwash as the dentist had instructed.
69) I could hear the dog whine as I closed the door and I felt terribly guilty about leaving him on his own.
70) You scared me when you shouted, “boo.”
71) He whipped out his magic wand and cast an amazing spell.
72) I wish you wouldn’t slurp your drink like that.
73) Your dog barks all night, can you try and keep him quiet please.
74) “You will never beat me at tennis,” he snorted.
75) I wish you wouldn’t mumble your words, I can’t understand what you’re saying.
76) Ow! That hurt.
77) Shuffle the cards again.
78) As she sat in the chair, kerplunk it collapsed.
79) Drink some water to help stop your hiccups.
80) The champagne tickled her nose and made her giggle.
81) There was a loud vroom as he revved the engine.
82) He tapped loudly on the windowpane.
83) Splat, the ink spilled onto the book and ruined the page.
84) She popped the balloon with a pin.
85) The snakes in the pit hissed menacingly.
86) The tinkle of the rain could be heard in the distance and we knew it was coming our way.
87) I took her shopping but she moaned throughout the day.
88) Zap! The ghosts were eradicated with the laser gun.
89) Please do not gargle with your water like that; drink it properly.
90) The water gushed down the stream to the waterfall.
91) Someone shut that dog up! I'm tired of her yapping at us all day.
92) I gobbled down my food as quickly as I could so that I could go and play football.
93) The ding-dong of the doorbell is not loud enough.
94) We heard the tlot-tlot of the horse’s hooves.
95) I squashed the snail when I stood on it by accident.
96) The wolf howled at the moon.
97) For breakfast he had a cereal that went "snap, crackle and pop" as he poured on the milk.
98) A door banged and someone sneezed "atishoo."
99) The crowd murmured as the judge announced the verdict.
100) Meow purred the cat.
101) Boing went the bouncy ball!
Can you think of any examples of onomatopoeia in sentences? Leave a comment and share them with us all.